05/09/2015

Illustration Collective?

I've been thinking a lot about what I am going to do once I finish level 6 and since I've decided I can't see myself going onto do an MA just yet, I think an illustration agency or collective might be the way forward.

I came across this article about a few illustration/design collectives and I really like the sound of it. There are collectives such as Girls Who Draw or 13Souls which are comprised of quite a lot of different skillsets. I think the idea behind a collective is to work together on projects that need it, but it also allows you to have your individual practice.
Organizing events such as exhibitions might be easier as a collective as there are more people to do the necessary jobs. I think it would also be less intimidating to approach galleries and if agreed, costs could be split.

Being part of a collective sounds really appealing and I definitely think my practice would benefit from working alongside other practitioners but having the opportunity to work individually. I have already spoken to a couple of people about sharing a studio space somewhere in Leeds when we finish level 6, but we need to research the practicality of it all.

What do I need to research thoroughly this year?

  • Costs of a studio space plus kitting it out with equipment we'll need
  • Who is definitely up for it?
  • In terms of a business, how would it work? No hierarchy but with project leaders?
  • Identify our strongest skillsets - is there anything vital we're missing between us? 
  • How would we make money? Prints/products? Publications?

No comments:

Post a Comment