09/02/2016

Self reflection & Anj Smith (artist)

Recently I've been so focused on trying to shape my work commercially that I think I'm on the brink of producing uninteresting, vapid images. Through Context of Practice this year I have already identified that I feel strongly about gender equality and gender identity but I've barely touched on the matter elsewhere. I have the opportunity to create some artwork that actually says something in 603 so before I produce anything else I'm not 100% pleased with, I'm going to do a little more research on how I can tackle issues that interest me.

So I remembered that one of my relatives is a really great artist and creates these beautiful layered oil paintings - the closer you get, the more you see. She uses a lot of symbolism in her work to challenge social issues such as gender identity, equality, beauty standards etc. Like I said earlier, because I've been so focused on making my work fit within commercial illustration, I'd kind of forgotten how I can use it to say something.
I found this really interesting interview with her and although I'm not a fine-artist as she might describe herself, I want to be able to discuss the meaning behind some of my work like that! I want to make interesting, challenging content!

Anj Smith interview | Hauser & Wirth London | 18 September 2015 from studio international on Vimeo.

I'm definitely going to contact her to speak about some of this stuff. I can't find an email or website so I'm actually relying on my mum to put us in touch!


No comments:

Post a Comment