14/05/2014

Studio Brief 2 - The Illustrated Self

 I decided not to continue with my digital painting of the female Mario character because I felt like I was in danger of just replicating somebody else's style. I thought back to previous work where my illustrations had been more successful and realised that they were only successful because they were drawn in my tone of voice/style. 

I started to re-sketch Mario as a female, working out the shapes that came naturally to me.

 I used ink on the bottom right to try and increase my line confidence - I was getting to a point where I was happy and sometimes I find it easier to take away the option of erasing mistakes to force myself into controlling the lines better.

Once I was happy with this initial design, I had a go at drawing female Mario in a typical Mario pose & refined further. 

Although I still want to make some alterations/get used to drawing this character,  I feel happy with the outcomes of this exercise because I am drawing the way I naturally draw and the results are much better than previous attempts. I think by repetitively drawing this character, the lines and shapes will naturally become more refined with practice. 

For a final outcome to this project I am thinking of producing an A1 poster - not unlike some of the original ideas I had - with female versions of popular characters (possibly exclusively video game characters). I could take this further and create a piece of artwork with them all interacting with each other or in a scene similar to their original games. 
My next step is to continue to refine more characters - I am aiming for 15 or more, depending on how quickly I work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment