12/05/2014

Studio Brief 2 - The Illustrated Self

Initial ideas:





My first ideas were to look at different types of skulls or crystals. Since I've always found skulls fascinating, I thought looking at different species' skulls would be interesting to illustrate.

For a final outcome I visualise something similar to Kristyna Baczynski's work below:

 My second idea was to look at Crystals. Initially I was just interested in their aesthetic, but after some initial research I'd like to learn/illustrate the different healing properties associated with specific types of crystals. 


This piece of work by Elise Hannebicque is what inspired me to look at the aesthetic of crystals. I like the use of line and collage in some areas to create some kind of shadow/depth/texture. So far I have only experimented using free-hand line and loose watercolour but I want to try using a ruler to get sharper edges and then see what I can create digitally. 


So far I am going ahead with the crystal research & development but I am also leaning towards my third option, looking at 'gender-bent' characters. 
This idea was inspired by Sakimichan's genderbent series.



This reminded me of the Superman theory I learnt about in context of practice which was about how we recognise characters to be a specific character regardless of slight changes in story or perhaps gender. I am interested in which characteristics are important in identifying well known-characters. My only concern is that this is well-trodden ground and I don't want to just replicate Sakimichan's work.  
However, I could also use ideas from the Hawkeye Initiative and consider how female versions of male characters would often be sexualised or perhaps how male versions of female characters would me made to look very masculine/macho?

My question to myself is do I want to create something that is pretty or explore the medias constructs of gender?


No comments:

Post a Comment