18/05/2015

End of Module Evaluation

Throughout PPP this year, I have really had the opportunity to find my own voice and where my work exists in the world. This has definitely been a challenge and I feel as though I will be looking for this answer as long as I am a practitioner.
The most straightforward part of this module has been identifying parts of the industry I am interested in working in. My work in other modules has definitely influenced this because I discovered new skills or how much I enjoy a particular area. For example, my work on product and packaging in OUIL505 really confirmed that I want to continue working in this area. Earlier on in the year I had already identified that I really liked illustrated products and I know that interest has always been there, it has just taken me a long time to realise that’s where my practice might fit.

Trying to find my own voice as an illustrator has been the greatest challenge so far. I am aware that I have an opinion on lots of things and there are issues that are important to me, but I have found it challenging to convey this in my work. Looking at other practitioners, such as Babs Tarr, Paulina Ganucheau and Sophie Campbell has given me an idea of how I can use character to convey some of my opinions and how colour and line can affect this.
Developing my creative presence has been quite fun and as a result, the interest in my work has definitely increased. I have created a few social media pages to showcase my work and I plan to continue developing this so that I am on as many platforms as possible. Recently I even had somebody commission me for a logo because they imagined what they wanted in my ‘style’ – not my choice of words but I took this as a huge compliment and it means I am on the right track.   However, I have discovered that maintaining these pages does take a lot of time and recently, I haven’t had much of that to dedicate to this. Over summer I plan to really capitalise on my online presence so that by the time I get into level 6 it’ll just be a case of updating with new content.

Creating a promotional pack has been very interesting. It put me in a position where I had to make decisions on which of my work I wanted to represent me. Rather than create a logo or pseudonym as some other practitioners do, I chose to keep the text really simple and let the images attract people. This meant that I could have more than one design on business cards and I could apply the same designs to other products, such as bookmarks; key-rings; stickers and fridge-magnets. This also means that when I feel I have outgrown a particular design, I can just replace it with something more recent. So far, the response to my business cards has been great and I have handed out quite a lot. I do however, need to get into the habit of having a few on me at all times – you never know when opportunity strikes.



With my new found understanding of what kind of illustrator I am – or that I want to be, I feel much more confident about what kind of work I am going to be producing from now on and where I should think about marketing it. A few months ago I sold some prints at the Hepworth Print fair and I would love to do it again. I have considered applying for a table at various conventions but I don’t think my work would really be suited to that audience. Starting from now, I think one of my aims will be to get a better understanding of the market for my work. This will help me develop my voice and familiarise myself with the industry so that it doesn’t seem so intimidating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment