01/02/2014

Study Task 4 - Where am I now?

10 things that you have learned about yourself as an individual and as learner: 


  1. I am more organised than I thought but I struggle to keep going when I don't have any goals/deadlines
  2. I spend a lot of time doing domestic chores and work so I don't get a lot of time to relax
  3. I stress a lot - possibly because I plan most of my time around my workload
  4. Although I like to set myself deadlines for work, I am rubbish at sticking to a timetable
  5. I need 'down time' every so often to keep my sanity
  6. Living independently for the first time and budgeting my money is difficult but I am enjoying it
  7. I find it hard to adjust on new courses and make new friends because I am a bit of an introvert but I think I am gradually finding my feet
  8. I've learnt to cook properly and found I actually enjoy experimenting with new dishes
  9. Drawing, reading and watching films takes up most of my time
  10. I like routine


10 things that you have learned about yourself as an illustrator:

  1. I'm not very good at humorous illustration
  2. I don't experiment with different media with uni work, but my personal work is slightly more ranged
  3. I have tried many different 'styles' since the start of this course 
  4. The quality of my work is gradually improving with each project I do
  5. I still have no idea what kind of illustrator I want to be and what I am good at drawing
  6. I don't feel as though I have really connected with any of the briefs we have been set so far and looking back, I don't really like any of my outcomes so I aim to improve on this each time
  7. I am usually a slow worker 
  8. I really enjoy drawing pattern and being very meticulous with my work however I haven't been able to work this into the projects I've done so far
  9. I find it easier to work during the afternoon and in the evening
  10. I prefer to work with minimal colour or monochrome

Compared with where I was last year, my understanding of illustration and my general lifestyle, this task has really highlighted how much has changed for me. Last year I thought I had a drawing 'style' that I was comfortable with but in reality, I've found that it is important to be flexible and explore different ways of making images before creating your own 'identity'. I am slowly working out what it means to be an illustrator for me and where my place is in the world. I am proud that I've learnt so much in such a short space of time and my practise will be something I am constantly developing and exploring. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment