28/02/2014

Ralph Steadman Talk




The talk with Ralph Steadman left me feeling utterly inspired. Although my work is aesthetically very different to his, his words taught me that mistakes are okay and should not be erased. 
Steadman used a lot of ink and brush flicks in his work, which might seem a little slap-dash to some, but his movements are controlled and practiced, which is something I've started to consider more. I have stopped planning all of my work with a pencil and erasing all of my mistakes and started to embrace them instead.
For my Context of Practice sketchbook work, I chose to switch my drawing tools up and use a brush and ink straight onto the paper without any pencil lines beforehand. It really helped to improve my line confidence and encourage me to draw things over and over again so that I can see my progress.

The most important thing I learnt from Steadmans' talk is to have fun with your work, be naughty and that there is no such thing as a mistake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment