30/10/2013

STUDY TASK 1 - WHY AM I HERE? WHAT DO I WANT TO LEARN?

Identify and explain 5 reasons why you chose to study on this programme.


  • I chose to study this programme because I want to learn about illustration.
  • I am interested in the many different types/possibilities of illustration and I want to refine my skills. 
  • I also want to be surrounded by people who share my interests in art/drawing/illustration and see other peoples work. 
  • Out of all the other courses I looked at, this one looked the most exciting and the tutors were passionate.
  • It is a full time course, seems well structured and I work well with routine and deadlines.
Identify and explain 5 things that you want to learn during your time on the programme.

Over the next three years, I want to learn about the illustration industry; 
  • what will be expected of me as a professional illustrator? 
  • different areas of illustration - which one suits my skills best and which do I enjoy the most?
  •  how will I establish myself as a professional illustrator when there is so much competition?
  • what is my tone of voice and what do I have to say?
  • I'd also really like to learn more about how to form a narrative and work on comic strips. 
Identify and explain 5 skills that you think are your strengths.


  • I have a background in photography - I could use this alongside my illustrations or gather good quality photographs for reference material. 
  • I am very familiar with Photoshop. This will help me expand the possibilities of my work. 
  • I am organised and work well with deadlines
  • I am dedicated to learning about my craft
  • I really want to push my skills further and try out new processes


Identify and explain 5 things that you want to improve


  • The way I generate ideas - I want to try out lots of new media and really explore every aspect of an idea/concept. 
  • My confidence with line - I want to stop drawing with sketchy lines.
  • Range of materials used
  • Knowledge of other illustrators/creative practitioners
  • My ability to trust my own ideas - stop putting them down and believe that they might actually have potential

Identify and explain 5 ways in which you will evaluate your progress
  • Compare work produced last year with the work I am producing now and see how much/if anything has changed.
  • Constantly reflect on what I am working on - am I happy with this media in particular? Has the way I generate ideas changed? Etc
  • Make regular posts on my blog evaluating different stages of projects
  • Keep a sketchbook - I know I won't get better at drawing if I don't draw over and over. 
  • Take regular breaks to step back from work and be critical of it - how could it be better? does a particular aspect of it really work?

No comments:

Post a Comment