18/11/2014

Thought Bubble and Creative Networks event

Thought Bubble

Babs Tarr


I really enjoyed the talk by Babs Tarr at the creative networks event. She is currently working on the Batgirl comics for DC with Cameron Stewart. I think the most significant thing I learnt from her talk was how important it is to be diverse with your tone of voice/drawing 'style'. She said that when she was sending off character designs for potential clients, she would send ten different versions of the same character drawn differently. This gave the client more options to work with and showed what a diverse artist she was. 
I love her fan art of Sailor Moon & the other Sailor scouts on motorbikes (top) - I think it's a great combination of girly, japanese anime culture and bad ass motorbike gang culture. I actually gave her one of my own Sailor Moon prints and I ended up getting the print below free! Very exciting moment for me - I think I'll try and contact other artists to do more print swaps. 

Matt Forsythe
Matt Forsythe also spoke at the creative networks event. He's an illustrator who also worked on animation projects such as Adventure Time. He talked about the process of creating an animation in a team, including storyboarding, and writing specific notes about which part of the composition would actually be moving. Forsythe also spoke about how the studio he worked for didn't even do the actual animation of Adventure Time - it was done by another studio in Korea, which doesn't even get credit. This kind of taught me how unfair the industry can be but also how rigorous the design process for animation needs to be. 



No comments:

Post a Comment