30/04/2014

OUIL406 Visual Commincation Module Evaluation

Throughout this module I think I have really improved my ability to communicate through image. This is something I will probably be working to improve constantly as an illustrator, but by using lens in Studio Brief 1 and then really informing myself on subjects in Studio Briefs 2 and 3 I feel like I understand how I can illustrate something more effectively.
I thought working in small groups during Studio Brief 1 was interesting because I could see how others went about finding solutions to problems/briefs. As Studio Brief 1 encouraged us to take a different approach to illustration, using lens, it left me feeling a but stranded to begin with so it helped to have a group to plan work with.
During Studio Brief 2 I found out that I really like using Illustrator to create images and it opens up so many opportunities for scale. I predominantly used shape to create my images in Illustrator to begin with, but since then my confidence with the pen tool/brush tool with a drawing tablet has increased and it has quickly become my staple program for digital line-work.
In Studio Brief 3, I focused on creating repeat patterns and discovered that it is something I really enjoy.  It has opened up a lot of new areas for me, such as using illustration in surface pattern design, product & packaging design and as a way to communicate particular themes.
I think my weakness in this module has been the amount of testing I have done in my sketchbooks. As I have predominantly been working digitally throughout this module, I feel as though I have neglected just being creative with ideas on paper and just used it for basic designing and thumb-nailing. This may or may not be a bad thing but for the next brief I work on, my goal is to create more work on paper and try to be creative with it.
The most important thing I am realising from completing different modules is that there is definitely a synthesis between them all that wasn't there at the beginning of the year. As I learn new skills, such as how to use Illustrator or how to communicate something through image, I am incorporating these skills into my practice as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment